Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Alhambra 4th Feb

The drive from Salobrena to Alhambra was a continuous uphill slog through the mountains until we reached Granada.  Much to my dismay this obviously had an effect upon Wolfy's fuel consumption (27mpg).  When we arrived at Alhambra we checked out the parking and discovered that it was going to cost about €15 minimum so 20 minutes later we found safe and convenient (and free!) Parking 2 miles down the hill.
It only took 30 minutes to walk back up to Alhambra.  Once we had paid the €30.80 (!) entry fee for the two of us and I (Grahame) had wiped the tears from my eyes at the shock of spending so much money to look around and old fort, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The architecture and design is indeed a feast for the eyes.  The main event is the Nasarid Palaces.  Islamic design is very structured and symmetrical, full of ordered pattern.
As is often the case with me I reached 'culture overload' after about 2 hours so after much whinning I managed to convince Kate to let us go!
We walked back down the hill to find Wolfy still there and as we left it (always a slight worry) so we set of for Sierra Nevada.